Monday, April 13, 2009

The Art of Trimming Hooves

Once you've entered into the realm of homesteading, there is no doubt you will join the ranks of those who are also ruminant owners. And, one of the new chores you will find yourself facing is the ever present need to trim those ruminant's hooves. (I tell ya...I love this life. I mean how often does one get to use the term "ruminant" in real life? "Did you mean, Do I have a room-to-rent?" Or, "I'm sorry maam, but you'll have to check in hardware for that item....") Any way...I have studied charts and diagrams and books on all the correct procedures for trimming either a goat or sheep hoof...I truly appreciate all the neat and clean and down-right lying pictures. Whence the moment arrives that you are able to secure your animal for the moment of truth...all diagrams go right out the window. And, as we all should know by now, if no two human being toe-nails are the same...it is true for the animal kingdom. Take my husband, for example...his toenails are so unique, my daughter actually stole some away for keepsakes...she had never seen anything so BIG come off someone's toe...(I am happy to say, now that she is older, the toenails have been discarded...they were BIG though!) There is no manual to describe how to cut my husband's toenails...and the same goes for the goat or sheep. I guess the best advise I could give...is do the best you can. There are some things that will be the same for all your experiences in trimming hooves...there will be lots of "guck" to get out...(I use a hook knife...not to sharp, put has a nice pointy edge)...the animal will not hold still (that's funny, neither does my husband!)...so I put the animal in a stanchion or have a very strong helper to hold (mind you, this is for the goat or sheep, not husband!) I do try to cut the hoof as even as possible; I try to trim hooves after a rain so the hooves are soft; I am careful NOt to let the hooves get overgrown; and, yes, even tho the diagrams don't help much, they are helpful and needful to get you off on the right hoof...I mean foot. So, even tho this post may not have been the most helpful, I hope in some ways you will know that you are not alone in wondering if you are some blundering idiot that can't trim hooves "like the pros"....you are your own pro, and you are doing just fine!

No comments:

Post a Comment