Monday, March 23, 2009

The Commute...To Where?

People will often ask what "we" do out "thar in the yonder" for income...our answer is "YES"...in other words, when you live out yonder, you do whatever comes your way. So, when I mention commute again, it could be to any where. Since living out in yonder land, I have sold fruit at a fruit stand, picked the fruit to sell at the fruit stand, drove the fruit picked and not sold at the fruit stand to places even yonder than where I live; I've cleaned houses (heaven forbid not my own!), have house-sat, pet-sat, garden-sat, etc. My husband, who is a carpenter by trade and still continues in that realm, has helped with the fruit stuff, fought wildland forest fires, etc. etc. I still continue in my substitute teaching, which in my former life, I was a REAL teacher. I have had some interesting "assignments", one which is most memorable was my stint as a Spanish teacher. Now, that may seem innocuous at first...but I don't speak espanol. Well, at least I didn't. Oh, I remembered some from high school and college...and I grew up in the southwest... and it didn't hurt me any working at the fruit place because there were always the Mexican immigrant workers, but, I did not have the formal training for such a position. I ended up filling in for the position for almost 2 months. Thankfully, for the last month, the school had the kids take the course on-line, but that first month was "interesting-o". Actually, as with most things in life that has occurred out here, one becomes rather resourceful. When I am not commuting, I am here on the ole homestead, where life has it's own resourceful-ingratiating situations to deal with...anything from delivering a "stuck" goat, to climbing down into your water storage tank to "unstick" a dead squirrel who fell in the drain by accident...maybe more on that later!
At any rate, life is never dull...whether behind the wheel to just another adventure, or staying home...the wheel just keeps on spinning. (Hey, wasn't there a song like that back in the '70's???)

No comments:

Post a Comment